Eden Book Club: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead Discussion
Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead is one of the most unique books I’ve ever read. Janina is a character unlike any other. She’s boldly bizarre and up-front about her convictions. I came into this story for the mystery (and the fantastically described remote Polish village setting) and stayed for her biting observations.
This is a tale that slowly wanders and drifts and rambles, all while asking a big, revelatory question: who gets to live and who gets to die? I loved the premise. It’s ambitious and as evidenced by Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead’s Nobel Prize, the book succeeds in its ambitions.
I can’t wait to hear your thoughts on this title. Feel free to rant or rave in the comments section below. I look forward to chatting with you!
P.S. As a non-Blake scholar, there were so many moments where I felt utterly lost, dazed, and confused by the Blake-blanketed environment of Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead. If you’re a fan of Blake, feel free to pose more Blake-related discussion questions in the comments sections (I look forward to reading your insights).
Book Club Discussion Guidelines
Discussion posts (like this one) will have a series of questions as starting points. But honestly, you can talk about whatever you want regarding the books (or questions). You don’t have to answer all (or any) of the questions. I’d still love to hear your thoughts!
You can join in regardless of whether you’ve read, not read, or DNF’d the book! I understand that not everyone has the time to read or finish the book so I try to include a general discussion question as well to make the discussions more inclusive.
Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead Discussion Questions
- Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead sits between many genres. What genre would you categorize this book as (mystery, thriller, literary fiction, etc)?
- Janina doesn’t refer to characters by their given names, but rather a name she gives them (pg. 18-19). How do you feel about her philosophy on names?
- Astrology laces almost every page of Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead. How do you feel about Janina’s passion for astrology?
- Did you feel (at any point) like Janina was an unreliable narrator? At what points in the story did your perspective about Janina change?
- Do you think Janina’s arguments are coherent? How do you feel about her logic?
- Why do you think certain words were capitalized in this story (ex: Deer, Attribute, Night)?
- What role does the location (a remote area straddling the Poland-Czechia border) play in Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead?
- What are your favorite lines and quotes from this story?
- What was your favorite William Blake reference?
- How do you feel about the plot of Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead?
November 2022 Book Club Pick
Let me know your thoughts in the comments below! Of course, these are just starter questions. There are no right or wrong answers. Feel 100% free to discuss anything regarding the book (or otherwise). I’ll be jumping in and responding as well!